Sunday, April 7, 2013

Do Hard Things Part II




One more thought...

Although I am learning to embrace doing hard things, I still sometimes whine about the hard work.  Sometimes I feel that if I am doing what God has called me to do, somehow it should be easy.   I know that's crazy...Jesus's example alone should be enough to show me that doing what God calls us to do requires sacrifice and commitment.  And its not easy.

I have a favorite story in the Bible that is somewhat obscure.  In the story, Abraham and God are talking and God promises Abraham that he will be given a son.  After some discussion, God tells Abraham to offer Him a sacrifice:
 

So the Lord said to him, “Bring me a heifer, a goat and a ram, each three years old, along with a dove and a young pigeon.”
10 Abram brought all these to him, cut them in two and arranged the halves opposite each other; the birds, however, he did not cut in half. 11 Then birds of prey came down on the carcasses, but Abram drove them away.  Genesis 15





I love this truth in this story.  Abraham is trying to do exactly what God told him to do.  Not only that, what he is trying to do is to worship God.  And yet, the birds of prey came down and tried to disrupt his sacrifice.

If I were Abraham, I would've stomped my feet and asked God, "Why aren't you keeping the birds away?  I'm trying to do what you said.  Help me out!"

The first time I really considered this story was when my girls were younger.  It seemed that no matter when I tried to have my quiet time alone with God, a child would have an "urgent" need and interrupt me.  I would try getting up early, waiting until nap time, whatever.  It seemed as if I were constantly interrupted.  I remember crying and asking God to help.  I complained that I was trying to spend time with Him, so why didn't He help keep my girls quiet during my prayer time.  God showed me Abraham's story.

I found kinship with Abraham (although I am thankful that I was dealing with a daughter in need of a drink than birds of prey harassing me while I offer a sacrifice). And I appreciate that the detail of his difficulties offering a sacrifice were included in the Bible. 

It is in the depths of hard times that we see God's strength revealed and we experience Him in new ways.  And somehow, the hard work changes us.  Our faith deepens.  Our relationship with God is enriched.  And we see that we can accomplish the difficult with God's help.

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.  Psalm 73:6


No comments:

Post a Comment