Monday, March 11, 2013

The Wonders of the Deep


Many years ago, when I was going through a difficult journey, a sweet friend shared some verses with me from Psalm 107.  I love to remember these verses whenever I am going on a long (to me) journey.  Here are the verses with a little comment on our current journey.



23 Others sailed out on the ocean in ships.
    They traded goods on the mighty waters.
24 They saw the works of the Lord.
    They saw the miracles he did on the ocean.

We set sail in this journey of adoption...on these mighty waters.  We have seen so many miracles-- in our own process and in the lives of others who are adopting.  So many little blessings--a special verse during my quiet time, a friend letting me know that she is praying for me, a song on the radio that ministers to me-- these are whispers to my heart.  I try to write these down and treasure them in my heart as reminders of God's unfailing love.  These works strengthen our faith. 

25 He spoke and stirred up a storm.
    It lifted the waves high.
26 They rose up to the heavens. 

In the storms, sometimes we are lifted up like a ship riding a crest, and we lift our hands in prayer.  We see God at work...

Then they went down deep into the ocean.
    In that kind of danger the people’s boldness melted away.

but, truthfully, sometimes then we ride the wave down to the depths and we get discouraged.  Our prayers lack faith as our boldness is drained away.

27 They were unsteady like those who get drunk.
    They didn’t know what to do.
28 Then they cried out to the Lord because of their problems.
    And he brought them out of their troubles.

And time after time, when we call out to the Lord., when.we don't know what to do, He answers our desperate prayers and He brings us out of our troubles.

29 
He made the storm as quiet as a whisper.
    The waves of the ocean calmed down.

He calms our fears.  He meets us at our point of weakness, even as we pray "We believe!  Help our unbelief!!"

30 The people were glad when the ocean became calm.
    Then he guided them to the harbor they were looking for.

We have not yet reached the harbor we are looking for.  Our journey is not yet over, but we believe we see the lights of the harbor ahead of us!

31 Let them give thanks to the Lord for his faithful love.
    Let them give thanks for the miracles he does for his people.
32 Let them honor him among his people who gather for worship.
    Let them praise him in the meeting of the elders.

We praise Him for His faithful love.  We thank Him for His guidance.  We thank Him now...in advance of the answer because we know He is faithful.  God's word says that "The one that trusts in Him will never be put to shame."  (Romans 10:11)

And truthfully, I am writing this post to myself.  A reminder to me that God will guide us to the harbor we are looking for...to our daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment