Friday, May 17, 2013

Friday--orphanage visit

Today we took a van trip with another family to the Guangzhou orphanage.  Davina and the other family's daughter both lived there at one time.  The orphanage is huge...many buildings including a school and rehabilitation center.  The grounds were very lovely.  We were unable to go inside because of concerns of transmitting the bird flu, but what we were able to see seemed very nice.

While we were there we met with the director and we saw one of Davina's teachers.  It is clear that Davina was loved by them.

As we stood visiting, Davina told Rebecas about a friend of hers that needs a family.  He is an eleven year old boy.  I will be writing more about him soon, but I wanted to mention him now in the hopes that God will begin to gently nudge someone toward bringing him into a forever family.

The afternoons are getting difficult.  I am not creative enough to think of things to do and it is super hot.  Davina really does not like to walk in the heat, so I don't want to go somewhere outside and the only places inside I know are shopping places...also not a good option.  We both agreed yesterday that we were bored, but we are unsure how to remedy it.

In the evening, Davina got on QQ which is sort of like Facebook.  I had debated (internally) whether or not to allow her to do this while we were in China, but a combination of boredom, of me missing my family and friends (so I was empathizing) and the fact that she has been so sweet and compliant made me decide to offer it to her.  She was thrilled.  She was so happy to see her friends.  I really prayed before and after...I worried that it might make her sad or moody but it was actually the reverse.  She was more smiley and when we walked to gt dinner, she locked her arm with mine during our walk to the restaurant.  When we got back after dinner I told her she could have 30 minutes and at the end of the time, she got off without my even asking.  I hope that trend continues :)

We went to dinner with a couple who are deaf and have adopted a 13 year old daughter who is also deaf.  This is their first child.  Only the parents came to dinner because the girl was very tired so she stayed in the hotel with the interpreter.  Once again I gave Davina free reign to do the ordering and once again she did a fantastic job.  It was fun to visit with other parents and share our experiences.  The mom even taught Davina and me a little bit of sign language.  All in all it was a very good evening.

Most of the group we have toured with are leaving today. I am ready to go home, although God has really helped me not to feel too homesick.  I'm grateful that He is caring for me here in China and at the same time caring for my family back home.  But I am ready for Him to care for us all in one place!

"Let the name of The Lord be praised both now and forevermore.  From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of The Lord be praised!"  Psalm 113:2

No comments:

Post a Comment