Sunday, May 19, 2013

Sunday...more shopping

In the morning we had an opportunity to attend an international church. The guide asked Davina but she said she did not want to go.  I did not insist.  I am not especially concerned, but please be praying that going to church at home will not be an issue.

Davina slept in and we had to hurry to the breakfast buffet.  The buffet is quite extensive but I am tired of it anyway. :). Spoken by someone who eats the same thing at home practically every day.  There are two stations where you can order food: one has eggs and pancakes, the other has noodles with all sorts of toppings.  I keep trying to get up the nerve to order from that station, but so far, no luck.  I don't know...it is just so different than anything I have seen so I am intimidated.  Time is running out...

After breakfast we hung out in the room with the exception of going to Starbucks. I am sure you won't be surprised if I tell you that Starbucks is overpriced just like at home.  We had gone there before when Todd was here, but when he was here, he handled the money and I didn't pay attention.  Yesterday I was really wanting a frappuccino.  I get one about twice a year, but I think my need for it was more comfort food than anything else.  Anyway, Davina and I each got a cold beverage and I got one slice of a cake I had wanted to try ever since we saw it on our first day here.  The total?  85 yuan!  Just to refresh your memory, we have gotten four dishes at the noodle restaurant for 90 yuan.  Crazy.  Well, it was the one and only time for this trip, and it was lunch, so I guess it was o.k.  The cake was...odd.  I don't know how else to comment on it.

In the afternoon we went shopping with a whole new group of families.  Everyone that we had been hanging out with is now home.  We went to a different store that sold tea sets, vases, and a variety of other, mostly breakable, things.  I did manage to buy a couple things,  :). Then we returned to the place with the 5 story jewelry mall, so Davina, the guide and I went to Pizza Hut and got cold drinks and visited while the other families shopped.  I did squeeze in one more purchase there, too :)

My Bible readings right now are in Proverbs, but Todd sent me one if his own yesterday.  "It is better to be bored than broke."  I guess that is a hint or something :)

When we got back to the hotel it was storming...thunder and lightning.  We opted to get sandwiches in the deli in the hotel and stay in.  And so ended our day.  We are both counting the days!  No dancing from Davina yesterday, but she did sing a little "we are going home on Wednesday" song!

Oh, one word about communication and one prayer request.  Davina and I use a variety of words, restatement with different words, gestures, translator and google translate to communicate.  We are doing ok, but of course, it does not allow us to have a lot of deep discussions.  However, Davina told the guide that she is understanding more and more of my speech.  She is really smart and I know the communication will come.

And the prayer request...beyond the obvious ones...my family is really missing being together, and my girls especially are missing me.  Can you please pray for comfort and peace for them?  Even more, can you pray that they seek God for comfort,  that they look to Him for the peace they need while they wait for us to be reunited?  Thanks, friends.

1 comment: