Thursday, May 16, 2013

Wednesday: botanical gardens

Today we headed out to the botanical gardens. The grounds were beautiful. I think we would have enjoyed it more except it was so HOT.  It had been hot while we've been here, and today, for maybe the first time since we got here, we saw the sun, so in addition to being hot, the sun was beating down on our heads!

The garden had orchids, roses, and a friendship garden.  Davina is quite good at taking pictures and she had a lot of fun at the garden.

The afternoon we just hung out at the hotel and Davina watched tv.  She needs to soak up all the Chinese she can because her world is really going to change.  I know she is looking forward to it, but it will still be hard.

Her English is better every day and she works at it.  I rely on her when we go out.  She is great at directing me and helping me accomplish any task that we have undertaken.

We tried a new restaurant and it was really yummy.  I let Davina order.  Whenever I order for myself it is never as good as the food is when I let her order.  We had peanuts in some type of sauce, tofu that tasted smoked, stir fried potato (the potatoes were grated in long strands), and something very spicy that made me have a coughing fit so Davina said "no more spicy."  If you had asked me before I traveled to China if I liked tofu I would have given an emphatic "no."  Davina has ordered it twice--prepared two completely different ways--and it has been delicious both times.  Davina assures me that she knows how to cook all these different foods and I am looking forward to learning from her.

Davina looks forward to talking to her family, and especially her daddy, twice a day.  We had trouble connecting with Todd while he was at work today, but she would not give up trying until we had been able to chat a little bit.

Some of the dads in our group are leaving to go home as we wait out the consulate situation.  Because I am a little late in writing this post (it is actually Thursday afternoon as I am writing this), I can tell you that the consulate has reopened :). Not sure exactly what the means for us, but clearly a step in the right direction.  We are thanking God that we see some positive movement toward home!

No comments:

Post a Comment